Saturday, February 23, 2008

February Musings

I'm recuperating from the flu/bronchitis that laid me low last week--it really was a knockout punch! However, I had a lot of time to think about things, which I don't usually have, so that was good. What emerged from all my ruminations is a lesson I've had to learn many times, namely, that no matter what you do, other people are going to be who they are, not who you might want them to be. Also, that it's a stroke of luck when one meets folks who have a generous spirit, truly able to give of themselves. I've found that most people are self-centered and that's been hard to accept. Recently, I was out with a friend at a play and she took out a candy from her purse, unwrapped it, and popped it in her mouth. She didn't offer me any nor say, "I don't have any more, sorry," or any other acknowledgment of my presence. Such behavior makes me wonder what the world is coming to.

All I can take from these experiences are lessons of how NOT to behave. Gandhi's dictum "Be the change you want to see in the world" really hit me recently with a force I've not felt before. All one can really change is oneself.

No comments: